The Clinical Informatics Liaison focuses on Provider training and adoption of the Electronic
Health Record (EHR). This role serves as a liaison between clinicians, ancillary departments,
and Information Technology (IT) for the alignment of clinical and IT standards with department
workflow, processes, and policies. The Clinical Informatics Liaison to achieve excellence while
demonstrating a clear understanding of Tenet standards and Applied Clinical Informatics (ACI)
vision and guiding principles. This individual focuses on sustainment, outcomes, and
achievement of expected benefits of EHR utilization. Additionally, the Clinical Informatics
Liaison provides ongoing support and optimization of clinical systems involved with the EHR.
Responsibilities include: training, support, workflow assessment, optimization, project leadership
and support, system testing and validation.
Reports to the Director and Manager of Clinical Informatics
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC DUTIES:
Leadership and Collaboration
• Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with physicians, clinicians, hospital
leadership, ancillary departments, and others to ensure that EHR and other clinical
initiatives support patient-centered best practices.
• Works collaboratively with the Medical Director of Informatics in facilitation of Provider
adoption of the EHR.
• Works collaboratively with hospital leadership, department managers, clinicians, and
Providers to facilitate problem-solving and ongoing communication.
• Facilitates the implementation of Tenet clinical information systems and workflow in
accordance with Tenet standards.
• Collaborates with Tenet ACI teams to assess and communicate hardware/software needs to
support clinical systems.
• Able to see the big picture and still focus on the day-to-day details, works effectively
individually and as part of a team, and is able to work on several complex issues at the
same time, incorporating LEAN methodology into daily practice.
• Performs workflow analysis, design, redesign, documentation, and validation.
• In collaboration with MDI and Department Director, creates strategic plans that align with
Tenet ACI and organizational business strategy.
? Excellent organizational, presentation, communication, facilitation, and leadership skills.
Ability to present the material clearly and with confidence.
? Facilitates communication among hospital IT, Help Desk, or Tenet ACI and physicians to
resolve issues and ensure continuity in clinical processes, e.g. downtime events, change
• Provides status updates to the Director and Manager of Clinical Informatics regarding end
user adoption and sustainment of EHR technology.
• Leads and/or participates in meetings/committees for communication of status updates – i.e.
project, adoption, and sustainment.
• Effectively communicates changes in standards, practice, or functionality to affected end
users. Consistently closes the feedback loop.
• Creates Provider specific communication
• Provides initial and on-going EHR training for Providers on and off campus.
• Ensures training materials are updated to reflect current practice/workflow and address
• Evaluation and identification of on-going Provider training needs and participates/provides
re- training as needed.
• Develops and revises training material/course curricula and facilitates distribution of training
• Collaborates with Tenet ACI to ensure system updates are incorporated into training.
Provides just in time training on an ongoing basis.
• Develops and provides satisfaction surveys and need assessments for the identification of
support and training strengths as well as areas of opportunity.
• Creates, implements, and monitors action plans as needed.
• Utilizes SharePoint and other resources for archival of training and other collateral material.
• Facilitates ongoing enterprise and site specific EHR/clinical application initiatives while being
an advocate for Medical Staff and other affected disciplines (i.e. Nursing, Ancillary, other
care providers/hospital staff, patients/family).
• Subject Matter Expert on EHR functionality and coordination with clinical workflows.
• Recognizes and recommends solutions to improve clinical processes.
• Assist with identification, development, and revision of policies and procedures related to
clinical system workflows and processes.
Optimization / Support
• Collaborates with Medical Director of Informatics and Providers to identify optimization
• Leads all Provider related optimization efforts.
• Primary support resource for Providers, assists other end users as needed.
• Responsible for facilitation of issue identification, reporting, and escalation as appropriate.
• Utilize Clinical Informatics tools for tracking service calls.
• Responsible for monitoring and communicating issue resolution, thereby closing the
feedback loop for providers.
• Facilitates submission of change requests on behalf of providers and ensures follow-p on
• Develops and implements tools for measuring and responding to Provider satisfaction.
• Collaborates with Clinical Informatics leadership in the development of service level
agreements and expectations.
• Participates in hospital and Tenet Medical Staff meetings/committees that pertain to the
Adoption / Sustainment
• Develops and implements action plans in response to reports to ensure compliance with
CMS, Tenet, and organizational stretch goals for Meaningful Use, quality and performance
• Actively monitors Provider related metrics, system usage PowerPlan/order maintenance,
and other Physician related metrics.
• Ensures appropriate use of the clinical systems by Providers.
• Strives to continuously improve operations through quality improvement and sustained
• Evaluates adoption of clinical systems by Providers and implements activities to enhance
• Responsible for compliance of Providers driven metrics i.e. Meaningful Use,
Informatics Skill Development
? Maintains knowledge base on EHR documentation needs as it relates to regulatory
agencies (CMS, JCAHO, etc.) and Meaningful Use
? Achieves and maintains professional certification in Informatics
? Participates in informatics industry forums
• Registered Nurse: Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing or higher and active, unencumbered California
• Non-Registered Nurse: Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Business, Health Informatics or a Health
Care / Computer Science related field
• 3 years clinical experience in an acute care setting
• 2 years informatics, leadership, clinical workflow redesign experience
• Excellent communication skills. Must be proficient in the English language (reading, writing,
• Demonstrated ability to translate technical terminology for understanding by non-technical
• Competent user of Microsoft Office products – including Excel and Visio
• Collaborative – works well with others
• Vision – sees the big picture and enjoys bringing that vision to others
• Self – motivated, able to: work independently with minimal supervision, problem solve and
• Work schedule flexibility – training and support may be required on weekends, evenings and
• Ability to work with diverse groups
• Exceptional analytical, organizational, critical thinking, presentation, and facilitation abilities.
• Prior experience collaborating between information technology and clinical leadership
• Prior experience advocating use of technology and workflow redesign in a clinical setting
• Implementation, optimization, and support of the Cerner EHR
• Experience working in a LEAN environment
• Previous experience as a Physician or Mid-Level Provider
• Previous experience training and/or supporting Medical Staff
• Experienced in adult training/education and instructional design of an EHR
Palm Springs, California
Desert Regional Medical Center