Looking for a dynamic energetic orthopedic experienced Physician Assistant OR Nurse Practitioner who is outcome driven who cares deeply for the care of our patients. This PA/NP will follow patient's thru continuum of care from pre operative (clinic) to post operative. Will work with multi-disciplinary team - PA's, MD's, RN's, anesthesia, case management, care navigators. PA/NP will be working within the joint replacement division of this large growing orthopedic practice. Must be willing to cover all aspects of the practice. Position presents a good balance of both clinic exposure and operating room both at Detroit Receiving and Huron Valley Sinai Hospital. Individual must be a diplomat, with the highest integrity and a unifier. Seeking a PA/NP that is a servant leader and serve our entire system making schedules as well as making sure that there is a cross coverage system to cover within each hospital as well as across hospitals.
Under general direction of the surgeon or designee, performs the duties of a physician assistant and lead in a Surgical Specialty area. The Surgical Specialty areas include Neurology, Orthopedic, Urology and Vascular.
Assists attending physician in the pre-procedure preparation of patient and prepares, develops and initiates pre/peri/post operative treatment plans for surgery patients. Educates and counsels patient and family members on condition, desired results of treatment plans, expectations during illness and recovery, and other related areas. Monitors the quality of patient care through collaboration with health care professionals and acts as their resource. Assists in instruction of medical students and physician assistant students. Serves on committees and participates in clinical research, as requested; facilitates communication and coordination between community programs and staff for patient benefit. Performs as first assistant to the surgeon in the operating room. Participates in management of patient's care, before and after surgery, by facilitating, expediting and coordinating surgical procedures, writing orders for appropriate medical care and determining need for consultation to ensure the continuity and quality of care.
Coordinates and guides the activities of a small group of surgical specialty physician assistants/extenders. Develops and secures approval of protocols, standards, policies and procedures. Provides input for approval/administers annual manpower budget. Establishes and maintains employee records and work schedules, including patient load assignments. Plans and implements in-service education programs for department surgical Physician Assistants/NP's.
1. Performs duties of Physician Assistant OR Nurse Practitioner and lead in a surgical specialty service.*
2. Assists attending physician in the pre-procedure preparation of patient, obtaining physical consult results, giving vascular access and performing interventional procedures, including pre-position of catheters, wires, balloons, etc.*
3. Responsible for a variety of patient care activities in assigned outpatient clinic, such as performing surgical procedures and providing pre and post operative care.*
4. Educates and counsels patient and family members on condition, desired results of treatment plans, expectations during illness and recovery, and other related areas.*
5. Monitors the quality of patient care through collaboration with health care professionals, including nurses, physicians, respiratory therapists, physical therapists; acts as a resource for health care professionals.*
6. Performs post procedure follow-up in consultation with attending physician.*
7. Assists in instruction of medical students and physician assistant students during rotation. May contribute to evaluation with resident staff.*
8. Serves on committees and participates in clinical research as requested by staff physician or hospital administration. Facilitates communication and coordination between community programs and staff for patient benefit.*
9. Assists surgeon in the operating room, including preparing and draping the patient, acting as first assistant and participating in opening and closing incisions.*
10. Orients, trains and assigns work to Physician Assistants. Acts as first level review of a small group of Physician Assistants. Recommends candidates for hiring and assists management with discipline matters.*
11. Develops and secures approval of protocols, standards, policies and procedures. Monitors compliance of established protocols, policies and procedures.*
12. Provides input for approval and administers annual manpower budget.*
13. Establishes and maintains employee work schedules, including patient load assignments. Approves and schedules vacation time and other scheduled time off. Maintains employee records.*
14. Develops, implements, monitors and revises, as necessary, clinical rotations for student Surgical Specialty Physician Assistants.*
15. Plans and implements in-service education programs for department's Surgical Specialty Physician Assistants.*
16. Participates on Physician Extender committee, as assigned.*
17. Maintains and enhances expertise through appropriate educational and organizational activities.*
* The essential functions of this job include but are not limited to those marked with an asterisk