As a part of the Tenet and Catholic Health Initiatives family, Conifer Health Solutions is a leading healthcare business process management services provider working to improve operational performance for more than 600 clients so they can support financial improvement, enhance the patient experience, and drive value-based performance. Through our revenue cycle management, patient communications, and value-based care solutions, we empower healthcare decision makers—hospitals, health systems, physicians, self-insured employers, and payers—to better connect every point of care and wellness management. Are you ready to be part of our solutions? Welcome to the company that gives you the resources and incentives to redefine healthcare services, with a competitive benefits package and leadership to take your career to the next step!
Conifer Health Solutions is currently hiring for a SR. Inpatient Coder.
Responsible for assigning diagnostic and procedural codes to patient charts of moderate to high complexity using ICD-9-CM, CPT and HCPCS or any other designated coding classification system in accordance with coding rules and regulations. Responds to audits, conducts coding or provides consultation on projects, and may be the primary point of contact to CDI team when coding supervisor/manager is not available. Mentors staff and assists with questions. Abides by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by AHIMA. Abstracting required clinical information from the medical record.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Knowledge of MS-DRG classification and reimbursement structures
· Understanding of appropriate level of care orders
· Working knowledge of Value Based Purchasing (VBP)
· Proficient at writing AHIMA complaint physician queries
· Adept at comparing documentation, code assignment and charge in the financial system for accuracy and completeness and elevating concerns to the appropriate manager
· Proficient in researching and responding to Business Office questions and/or question by the payer
· Ability to mentor less experienced staff in all areas of coding. Assists in the training of new and transitioning coding staff
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as required by the duties of the position
· Ability to concentrate and accomplish tasks with explicit accuracy
· Ability to use office equipment and automated systems/applications/software at an acceptable level of proficiency
· Functional knowledge of facility EMR, encoder and other support software
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
Include minimum education, technical training, and/or experience preferred to perform the job.
· Three to five years’ experience performing medical record coding in acute care setting required.
· High school graduate or equivalent is required.
· Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in Health Information, Nursing, or other related field, or formal coding classes completed and passed preferred. Years of coding experience would be considered in lieu of educational requirements.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
· Required: AHIMA or AAPC approved credential
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Must be able to work in sitting position, use computer and answer telephone
· Ability to travel
· Includes ability to walk through hospital-based departments across broad campus settings, including Emergency Department environments
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Office Work Environment
· Hospital Work Environment
· Must be able to travel nationally as needed, not to exceed 10%
Los Angeles, California
8 Hour Day