GENERAL SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the Core or Rapid Response Lab Manager, provides all support services in the CPA and Lab Control Area. Performs limited lab testing.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. TECHNICAL: Enters patient data into computer system. Resolves discrepancies and missing information. Obtains medical history from patient and/or patient record. Produces labels and verifies that the information on all forms and labels matches before sending. Registers specimens in LIS and directs specimens to technical area for processing. Distributes reports in a timely and accurate manner. Edits Lab requisitions for completeness and medical necessity. Performs all duties in the Lab Control Area for sample processing. Includes centrifugation, pour-off, and distribution of samples to appropriate workbench/department. Processes all reference lab send-out specimens. Has knowledge of proper handling requirements of specimens and instructs Phlebotomy on such requirements. Performs lab testing that meets the JCAHO description of "waived" or "moderately complex".
2. COMMUNICATION: Answers telephone inquiries professionally and courteously. Provides information, directs calls, and takes messages. Assists caller in resolving problems when possible. Refers specimens to appropriate reference lab. Notifies physicians' offices or nursing unit of any critical value or unusual results. Communicates with other Laboratory Sections.
3. QC/QA: Ensures that all information is properly entered into the computer in order to provide accurate results to physicians. Works with supervisors to resolve problems. Performs quality control as required. Performs CAP surveys on rotation. Adheres to safety regulations and attends safety seminars. Maintains a clean and safe work environment.
4. DOCUMENTATION: Using the computer system, records patient information and blood specimen information as samples are received. Logs and tracks complaints and comments from accounts. Reviews MNO reports for missing/incorrect information and takes corrective action when necessary. Records results in the computer system, assuring that patient identification, test name, and results are accurately recorded. Records all QC and completes corrective action forms. Completes all QA forms, recording errors, issues, and concerns, patient or physician complaints, and any other issues affecting patient care. Assists techs with review and follow-up of Outstanding Specimen Log.
5. SPECIAL DUTIES: Takes and fills supply orders from offices. Orders and maintains supplies. Assists in training new employees.
OTHER KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND REQUIREMENTS: 1. High School Diploma and additional training in medical terminology and site-specific lab testing. Knowledge of computers, sample requirements, and normal laboratory ranges. 2. One to two years of laboratory experience required.
MetroWest Medical Center
If Other Shift, Specify:
Every other weekend